Culture Shock

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Adapting to Culture Shock by Kala Carrick

Culture shock seems like something that is just a part of being human. People may experience culture shock at different degrees, but it is always there. Several people have talked about the different reasons why people experience culture shock whether it be that you are open minded or sheltered, unsheltered or religious. The way that your parents raise you does play a big part into how you react later, but do you eventually get used to it so that when placed in a new situation you don't even notice that great of a change? Or is culture shock just as traumatizing each new time?
What about the person that has moved so much and been in so many different situations that they are simply immune to the effects of culture shock? Is it possible? When I say immune to culture shock what I mean is a person who is capable of adapting so quickly that there is no problem in blending right in. Considering that learning a new language would take more time if given that situation. Does being throwen into and out of different homes and places quicker than you can say "Where'd they go!" make a person switch into survival gear and just not even noticing the change yet still accepting it make a person extremly adaptable?
In my life I have moved several several times; for example seven times in one year. When given a new situation I'm not even focused on the how different it is I'm focused on how does this place work and how can I use it to the best of my ability. Now that I am in college there still has been no culture shock for me or at least not that I would consider a culture shock. True it has taken me some time to get used to the work load because I have never had homework, but it was something that I was already expecting. So what I'm wandering is if a persons life experiences can make them so adapable that they are basically immune to the idea of culture shock?

6 Comments:

Blogger Culture Shock said...

I don't think that a person can become totally amune to culture shock unless they have been exposed to every type of situation that humans have gone through. I have also moved around several times in my life and I think that it is very hard not to experience culture shock each time you move. Everytime I had to change to a new school, I had to start over in a new town with new people and had to adapt to different customs. I felt scared each time that I wouldn't fit in or that I would have a hard time adapting. I think that this is a natural reaction and that it's unavoidable to feel culture shock. It is very difficult to move to a different place, especially when you don't know the language. There's always that fear of being rejected for not knowing how to speak correctly.
Karla Martinez

3:05 PM  
Blogger Andra said...

Imune is a strong word and being imune to something, anything, can take a lot of time and life experience. An example of immunity is the clown-fish that lives in a mutual relationship with the sea anemone. This fish is the only creature that doesn't get shocked by the dangerous neurotoxines from the plant.A situation like this is extreme and i doubt that a human being can built in such a great resistence to culture shock.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Culture Shock said...

I think that a person will always experience culture shock. I think that she is saying that a person gets used to it and their reaction is much different when they have moved around alot through out their life time. I think that a person who has moved alot in their lifetime may not think that they experience culture shock, but they have they just don't realize that they do. They just handle differently then most people would. I think that culture shock will always exist even though a person may already be used to it.
Adrienne

7:25 PM  
Blogger Cody said...

I believe a person will always experience culture shock no matter what. I know friends that have moved from place to place, and no matter what they it is a change everytime and somewhat difficult to adjust to. I myself grew up in California where there is a extremely wide variety of cultures. Growing up in this I thought moving to New Mexico would be a piece of cake. Turns out it wasn't, I still experienced shock, in which took time to overcome. No I do not believe anyone is immune to culture shock.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

I think that it is definitely possible for a person to become immune to the affects of culture shock. I know i can't speak from personal experience because I have lived in New Mexico my whole life, but in my opinion I think everything becomes easier to accept over time. A person who tends to move around a lot has more experience with change than say a person who has lived in one area their whole life. This shows an advantage because that person is more willing to accept the change and not challenge it.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Culture Shock said...

I don't believe a person can totally be immune to culture shock no matter how many times they have moved or experienced other cultures. I think it will just decrease the effects of culture shock. Being open minded of course plays a part as well as all those other things you mentioned. It is hard for me to really relate to moving all the time because I have lived in the same place all my life and the only time I changed schools was when I went from middle school to highschool and then to college. In time though I do think being exposed to other cultures all the time does help in dealing with culture shock.
Ashley Villanueva

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home